Friday, July 4, 2008

State Theatre Damaged By Fire

On July 4, 1954 at 11:15 p.m. a passerby noticed smoke coming from the State theatre on South Earl Street and quickly turned in the fire alarm. When firemen from both companies arrived they found heavy fire in the rear of the building. Two firemen were injured battling the blaze, Harry Baughman, burns to the right hand and Herbert Bobletz, overcome by smoke were treated on the scene by the community ambulance and went back to fighting the fire. The fire was caused by temporary wiring for a soft drink cooler and quickly spread to the rear of the building igniting the drapes around the stage. Damages were estimated at $50,000. Hargelroad’s apartments to the north of the building suffered smoke damage. The Vigilant Hose and Cumberland Valley Hose companies answered the alarm.

Okay, I was away at scout camp with my son and his troop keeping me from posting yesterday so after considering if I should post the answer to the question about long gone fire companies from years ago in Cumberland County, for those that care I will. I was a little disappointed since four of the answers appeared on this site last September.

Lambs Gap Fire Company
United Fire, Carlisle

From Newville
Washington
Hope
Resolution
Independent

Centerville Fire Company

From Shippensburg
Shippensburg Fire Company
Alert
Niagra Hook and Ladder
Keystone Hook and Ladder

The others can be found in the comment section on the date the question was asked.

Some of the Newville companies could have been the same with a name change. I know the Hope was a name change but without digging out my old records and finishing the research in the Valley Times Star I am not sure which one. I do know that at one time Newville had three active companies all at the same time in the 1800's. Also the Niagra in Shippensburg never had a rig and didn't last long. There could be more these are just the ones I uncovered and remember off the top of my head.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brad,
There were quite a few that I've never even heard of, the Newville companies in particular. It's hard to imagine 3 at the same time.
Kenny

Anonymous said...

I surprise with the number of companies in Newville and Centerville having a fire company. I remember you talking about the ones in Shippensburg. Good work, keep up the great job.