On February 2, 1922 at 3:30 a.m. firemen were awaken from there slumbers by a report of a building fire at J. W. Bittner’s Grocery Store on S. Earl Street. A fire of undetermined origin gutted the storeroom and damaged a side office. All the stock was ruined by heat, smoke and water. Both fire companies were soon on the scene and had the blaze under control in 15 minutes. A damage estimate was not available. The Vigilant Hose and Cumberland Valley Hose companies answered the alarm.