Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Jackson “Fireman Jack” Gerhart


On December 5, 2004 Jackson Gerhart, 65, died of his injuries at 5:17 p.m. at York Hospital. Jackson was injured on November 30 while helping the Chambersburg Fire Department at the scene of a house fire. Jackson was surrounded by his family and friends in his final hours.

Jackson had dedicated his life to the fire service having started his career as a volunteer with the Junior Hook and Ladder Company in Chambersburg. Jack was employed by the Chambersburg Fire Department for about two years before being hired in Washington, D.C. as a fireman where he worked for 32 years (most as the driver on 17 engine) before retiring in 1994. While in D.C. Jack was the secretary of IAFF Local 36 for 17years.

While living in Maryland Jack was active with the Mt. Rainier Volunteer Fire Department and the Hyattsville Volunteer Fire Department serving as Assistant Chief and Deputy Fire Chief. After retirement Jackson returned to Shippensburg where he was an active volunteer with the West End Fire and Rescue Company and the Cumberland Valley Hose Company.

Jackson was a member of many other volunteer fire companies in the area including a life member of the Fayetteville, Pleasant Hall, Metal Township, West End Fire and Rescue and New Franklin Volunteer Fire Companies.

Jackson had a major impact on the careers of many young firefighters in the area, assisting them in getting career jobs and mentoring. Jack loved to help people and assisted numerous fire companies in getting started or anything else they needed. He was also very active in his church and delivered meals on wheels.

Jackson was well known for his large collection of fire toys. He loved photographing fire apparatus and assisted in numerous publications and books.

On a personal note Fireman Jack was my best friend and mentor and I miss him very much, he left a void that I can never replace. I still feel like I should call him every time I purchase a new toy just to hear him say "I know I got mine yesterday". When I purchased my Ward LaFrance Jack got out all the equipment he thought I might need and had it waiting like a kid at Christmas. Jackson loved Wards and was very excited that I got one, below he sits in the drivers seat of DCFD Engine 17's Ward in the 60's and delivering the old CV's 1937 Ward to the New Franklin Fire Company. Jackson owned that Ward for a few years and was instrumental in getting it back in Shippensburg. He would have loved driving that engine around now. God Bless Jackson and save a seat for me in your new firehouse.

A different article and other photographs can be found at my other site http://bradleymyersphotography.blogspot.com/


13 comments:

Wagon Master In Training said...

Brad, as being one of the young firefighters that Jack helped out with the DCFD. I sit back and think about the conversations that we had on the 3 off. I miss them, even though Jack was retired from the department he still knew what was going on. Jack would have requests from time to time. From getting the fire department roster to having the PA Fireman deliveried in the FD mail to Chief Fitzgerald.

Brad, why don't you post a story or 2. I am sure that you have something more to say.

J.D. Byers
Wagon Driver
E18-4

Anonymous said...

Rest In peace Jackson. Brad very well written.
B Cressler

Haney said...

I didn't know Jack all that well. Last spoke to him the Saturday before the accident, he had stopped by the Viggies while we hung the Christmas lights. When I needed an apparatus picture for the TV room, I knew where to go.
Haney

Anonymous said...

What about Chief Robert Jones
passed away Dec.4,1998

Brad Myers said...

Wally I assume you are not trying to start shit here and that I am only taking your comment wrong becuase it is my time of the month. I will tolerate 0 on my site. Chief Jones was on the 4th not 5th as this post was made, he was also not a LODD and I do not post multiple incidents on the same day. The post on Jackson also states he is was my best friend and IT WILL BE MADE EVERY YEAR.

I should also point out these post are obviously not made just to please people from Shippensburg. The site is a Shipp site but I have very few pwople from town looking at it. Presently close to a dozen towns in other parts of the state look at this site more than people from Shipp. and I have towns in other states that look at this site more often.

Ah I feel better now, if anyone has issues with my comments drop me a message at bmyers@hbgcityfire.com

TJ Silverstrim said...

My 2 cents on Jack...Everyone has heard of the 7 degrees of seperation of Kevin Beacon. Well, I would like to introduce the 7 degrees of seperation of Fireman Jack. Everyone that I know that's an engine pumper can within 7 people trace their hydrolics knowledge back to Jack. Jack was a hard nut to crack. I knew Jack for several years when I first joined the fire service in Ship, but Jack wasn't always the most receiving person. After testing for DC and moving through the process, there were very few days that Jack didn't stop in or call to see how I was doing or offer some friendly advice. When I graduated from the academy, it took some arm twisting but I was able to get Jack to attend the ceremony. That meant alot to me, as well as the others from the area that were in our class.

One funny story with Jack happened about a month before his accident. We were sitting on the front bumper of 152 shooting the shit when a strange van pulled up in front. My first instinct was to jump this person as to why they were parking in front of the engine, but this was quickly squashed when Jack greated the gentleman with an "Afternoon Chief!". As we walked over Jack told the "Chief" that he wanted to introduce him to one of his new rookies (me). This was the first time I met Chief Fitzgerald. We B.S.'d for a while and Jack put in a good word for me.

While it took a while for Jack to warm up on ya, once you were in with Jack, you were good. Jack was very instumental in my career, not just getting me assigned to a good house. Everytime we go out the door and I'm pumping a wagon, the legacy of Fireman Jack lives on.

TJ

PS Sorry for the late post Brad. I've been trying to stay up on checking out the site. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

I very sorry Brad,
Your 100% right Fireman Jack has done more for Shbg.
I love these sites that your doing.
These are the 2 sites that I look at in the morning. Lot's of history and it brings back lots memories.So sorry for the miss understanding,,
To bad you don't have pictures of the wagon's on South Queen Street!!!!!

Brad Myers said...

Wally, I was getting my excersize in this morning jumping to conclusions, now I can get my upper body in tonight lifting Lagers. Yes Dave and I put out many pretend fires with those wagons and I don't think there is any photos of them.

Anonymous said...

Jack would pop into Harrisburg from time to time to a station or fire scene. One day, at a block & contents behind the Mount Pleasant, he asked us where all the help was and couldn't believe that what you see is all we get. Said it would never work in DC.

Good guy.

RB

Brad Myers said...

RB I have his slides from that fire. He just happened to peep my first job in the city on Whitehall Street, the only people outside were Froggy at the pumps and Blessing running the show, he asked me the same question. I said everyone was inside working, no extra men to be standing around outside watching. We need to get together before the end of the year and look at some photos and books.

Pat Shoop said...

Wally/Brad is this where the term WAGON came from?

Anonymous said...

I'm going to look ,because I think their is some pictures of the wagon's & the old Army Tent's,,,

Jonesy said...

Sorry for the late post Brad but I just signed up to post today. I to miss our friend "Fireman Jack" I am forever in debt to him for what he had done for me. He gave me much support, great advise and inspiration to be the best that I could be while in rookie school. I will always cherish the special gift he gave me for finishing first in my class, it ment so much to me to make him proud. God bless you Jack I would never be where I am today if it weren't for him. Thank you Brad for a for a well deserved and fitting tribute to an amazing person! May the PA railroad live on!!!