Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Beetle’s Greenhouse Destroyed

On July 21, 1992 at 4:20 p.m. firefighters were dispatched to a building fire at Beedle’s Flowers, 306 East Garfield Street. When firefighters arrived black smoke and flames were billowing from the 75 by 25 foot one story greenhouse. The greenhouse was destroyed along with some supplies; damages were estimated at $100,000. Approximately 40 firefighters from three companies battled the blaze for over 70 minutes. Two firefighter were injured and transported to Chambersburg Hospital, one with a hand injury and one with a foreign object in his eye. Both were treated and released. The Vigilant Hose, Cumberland Valley Hose and West End Fire and Rescue companies answered the alarm.

3 comments:

Sparky said...

Was the hand injury Mark, just kidding...

Anonymous said...

I remember this one. I was leaving the station and seen a column of smoke rising in that direction. Just entered the bay door and the bells went off. E-1 & E-2 went out back to back.

Grizz

Anonymous said...

The column of smoke looked nice from Memorial park. My grandfather just picked me up when I seen it. If I remember correctly that I had Dad's pager that day and heard the dispatch. I went to the firehouse after that since I couldn't go is was still 15. Kenny, would know who got hurt. Once again if my memory serves me correctly Buckett got burnt.

WMIT