Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Ambulance Overturns Responding To Call

On September 29, 1985 at 1:31 p.m. while responding to an injured person at Valley Quarries the C. V. Hose Co. ambulance (153) was struck broadside causing it to roll on its side at King and Prince Streets. The ambulance was driven by Gary “Plummer” Rotz when a car pulled from the intersection striking the ambulance in the side causing it to flip on its side striking another car. No one was injured. The call at Valley Quarries was a suicide; a man jumped 60 feet into the pit. The Vigilant Hose Company stood by at the accident scene.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember this one. Took the Tanker on this call.

Grizz

Anonymous said...

We were just talking about this incident at the firehouse the other day. Someone had asked if there was a accident ever infront of the firehouse. I told them about the amb accident years ago. I didn't realize that is was around this time of the year since I was only 9 years old at the time.

WMIT

E4 Lt said...

Didn't Charlie get hit by the wagon in front of the firehouse also

Kenny said...

In response to Lt's question, I seem to remember those two got together at Walnut Bottom Rd and Orange St.

Brad Myers said...

Kenny is right on the location. It happened on an icy night. I have the recording of Rena and the occupant calling in the fire and then the radio transmissions through dispatch, the accident and battling the blaze. Great audio.

Anonymous said...

I think that Dave Byers was clipped by a car while back the wagon in one.

WMIT

Brad Myers said...

Wmit, uh what? I think you had one too many as I could not follow that last comment.

Anonymous said...

I think that Dave Byers got clipped by a car backing the wagon into the firehouse one day. If I remember correctly it was the 91/92 E-One. Besides you know where I am at today. Also the next time I see your truck parked in town without calling, emailing, or even sending a message via pigeon. I am going to soap your windows shut on your truck.

WMIT

Brad Myers said...

Just because you are at work does not mean you are not drinking, never stopped me.

I don't know what you mean about being in town, the last time I was there was to drive the wagon for the convention and gun raffle. I never know when you guys work and when you have off. I must warn you if you try and soap my windows, the 9 mm never misses.