Sunday, May 18, 2008

Criswell’s Warehouse Burned To The Ground

On May 18, 1869 a few minutes past one o’clock in the afternoon an alarm of fire was sounded in Shippensburg. Firemen soon found the fire to be in the rear of Criswell’s warehouse on Railroad Street. Flames spread rapidly in the two-story frame building causing its complete destruction. The building was only 18-months old built after fire destroyed the previous building on the site. Firemen concentrated their efforts on protecting two nearby dwellings and a stable. A damage estimate was not available. Charles Railing of the Cumberland Valley Fire Company suffered a broken arm after it got caught under a brake on the engine while he was trying to attach a hose. The Vigilant Fire and Cumberland Valley Fire companies answered the alarm.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A badge that says FireMAN is that even allowed anymore? I think we would be shot for that lol.
Cressler

Brad Myers said...

That badge is mine and purchased by me new in the 70's. The term is correct and I am still proud to wear a badge that says fireman. Anyone offended by it should join a different type of organization. Not slamming you Bobby, just stating my opinion on the word. Any applications or forms I fill out today that requires me to put my employment on it always say FIREMAN. Did you ever read my profile on the home page?

Anonymous said...

Brad, I meant that sarcastically sorry..... I would love to still see that. But you now the stuff it would stir. Cressler

Brad Myers said...

I knew you were not busting my balls Bobby, thats why I said I wasn't slamming you. I say it and use it all the time. I am not real worried about getting in troube, been there not a virgin. I do reserve the term for individuals that do the job and I respect as firemen. The word firefighter I use to lump all the mattress backs and 2 and 20 guys. I have never been know to be politically correct, why change now.

Anonymous said...

I too have my badge which we more then likely purchased at the same time. I always was proud to wear it and thought it was a really neat badge as well as my badge as past President of the Vigilant Hose. The term Fireman carries a deep history as well as pride. It carries a brotherhood.