Sunday, December 21, 2008

Livestock Lost In Shed Fire

On December 21, 1973 at 4:30 p.m. firefighters responded to a shed fire on the Rowe Road behind the High School. A heating lamp located to close to straw sparked a blaze that damaged a 30 X 15 limestone shed. According to WEFR Chief Ed Goodhart firemen had trouble getting to the scene because of icy conditions and drifting snow. Lost in the fire were two sows and 20 piglets. Firefighters operated at the scene over two hours. Damages were estimated at $1,000. The West End Fire and Rescue and the Vigilant Hose Company battled the blaze.

I had to switch things up a bit today, I realized without being able to make Smokey Stover larger you could not read the print, anyone else out their work for a person like this?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember this one. Tom Hockersmith stepped out of the jumpseats and disappeared in a snow drift.

Unknown said...

I was on the tail board of the old 50 Ford Maximum with Ron Gettle driving. It was one cold and fun ride to say the least. When we got on the scene I was helping overhaul the strucure and I was slipping and sliding, it wasn't after we were cleaning up that I figured out It was the pigglets!

Cincy Bill