Monday, January 11, 2010

Pinola Grain Elevator Burns

On January 11, 1946 at 1215 p.m. firemen responded to the Pinola Grain Elevator for a building fire. An electrical short in a piece of equipment caused a blaze that completely destroyed a large frame building and its contents. Lost in the fire were a hammer mill, feed mixer, corn sheller, and grain cleaner, hardware and other items. Firemen were delayed in getting to the scene by several slow moving freight trains. In order to get water to the scene firemen laid 2,000 feet of 2-½ inch hose from a small creek to supply two 1-½ inch lines. Damages were estimated at $10,000. The Vigilant Hose Company and Franklin’s answered the alarm.

UPDATE-I assume that most of you that look at this site do not frequent my photography site, so I thought I would let you know what was posted today if you would like to see them. Yesterday I stopped by the house fire in West Pennsboro Twp. and shot a few photos. I got there a good 20 minutes into the incident but still found fire for a short time. I will be posting additional photos this week along with some video. The link for my other site can be found on the right.

No comments: