Sunday, March 9, 2008

Memorial Lutheran Church Damaged By Fire






After all the discussion on the church fire I pulled out some of the other photographs I had of the incident and posted them today, March 11. The color photographs are from slides given to me by Dr. George Rea many years ago. All of the new phots put up can become larger by clicking on them. As with any other post if anyone has any images they want to share send them my way.

On March 9, 1980 at 4:44 a.m. a borough box alarm was dispatched for Orange and Penn Streets, Memorial Lutheran Church. An early morning arson fire caused $1 million dollars damage to the church. Fire investigators found two points of origin and traces of accelerants in the basement of the fellowship hall in the west wing. First arriving Chief Charles Myers encountered heavy fire from the roof of the three story educational wing. More than 200 firefighters’ from as many as 22 fire companies battled the blaze. Some came from as far away as Carroll County Maryland. Firefighters battled the blaze for over six hours before bringing it under control, and remained on the scene until after 8:00 p.m.

This was one of many arson fires to plaque the area in the last several months. Firefighters were hampered in their efforts to control the blaze because of the numerous renovations that took place over the years. Many locations in the building had multiple ceilings and some locations had as many as three floors stacked on top of each other. Firefighters were able to keep the flames from spreading into the main sanctuary. One firefighter was treated and released from Chambersburg Hospital with minor injuries; several others were treated at the scene. The Vigilant Hose, Cumberland Valley Hose and West End Fire and Rescue companies battled the blaze under the directions of Chief Edward Goodhart.

18 comments:

ShippensburgRealtor said...

I remember being on the scene of this fire for 16 hours, only a week after the Woolen Mill fire on March 1st. I have never seen many photos of the Church fire. Do you know of anyone who has additional pix?

Brad Myers said...

I have approx. 20 different photos of the fire. They are color slides and given to me by Dr. Rae many years ago. I wanted to put a few on here but I did not have time to scan them and get them ready. There has to be many more out there that we have never seen, being a Sunday fire in 1980 plenty of people had cameras. He also gave me a few of the Wollen Mill but being a night time fire they did not come out the best.

Haney said...

I was only a Jr. for a few weeks but I remember pulling the 4" off the '63 and getting kicked out of the building a half dozen different times. I also remember it being a long day.

Anonymous said...

The best thing I remember at that Fire was when Chief Nicholson from Carlisle FD. pulled up into the intersection of Orange & Penn Street and took over command,,because no one could find Chief Goodhart.For the best was Chief Frank Cressler's chilly ,that gave everyone the run's because putting to much chilly powder in it.

Anonymous said...

WOW what a day this was. I too remember Chief Nicholson Pulling his vehicle into the intersection and taking over command. I remember him ordering everyone out of the building and getting told to go to hell this is Shippensburg and we are going to put this fire out. Another interesting story as you look at the picture of the truck in the rear of the building you can see a peek of a roof. Larry Kerns and Danny Byers were inside to the very front of the building where this peek is and Danny ran out of air. Larry scrambled out and said he needed a bottle that Danny ran out of air and was unable to get out. When I went in with Larry there was Danny with the hose of his SCBA hanging out this little window. These two guys were and still are some of Shippensburg’s best

Anonymous said...

To remember Frank Cressler as a chief dale is showing your age..... I dont think I was born yet by the time he was out. Bobby C.

Anonymous said...

Let's just say I do remember is call too as a junior member. If you look at the picture, it was a job rolling all that hose. This was a junior member fire. How many Shippensburg Fire Dept Jr's were kicked out of the building and more than once?

Anonymous said...

Dave Myers,Danny Rhinehart,Todd Sherman, and many more,,I'm getting old,,,

Anonymous said...

Darn green tin helmets anyway, sorry Haney !

Haney said...

Not me. Leather Forever, Baby.

Anonymous said...

I had that problem with many Fire in Shbg. The three musketeers,,
Dan R.Dave M.&Todd S. if one was in ,the other two we're not to far behind,, Boy's do you remember
43 Cumberland Ave.Fire

Anonymous said...

Ok Wally

I remember when we were both wearing the tin green beany.
You had this slight problem of staying out of burning buildings. Who`s hair did you turn gray?

Brad Myers said...

After reading all the comments on the Church fire I am going to try and scan a few more photos of the church and maybe even one of a green senator helmet and put up later today or this evening. Thanks for commenting guys, your looking and commenting makes this site work.

Anonymous said...

I'd shot you if took this away,,
Let me know when your in town again,,I got some notebooks of picture you can look at,,
Go Green,,

Brad Myers said...

Thanks Dale, I will do for sure. I have some old older vhs footage of fires that I want to convert to digital that you took in Shippensburg, if they work and I can figure out how to do it I will be asking your permission to put them up on here when the fires come around. You would recieve credit for the footage.

Anonymous said...

Some of us made the trip from Hbg., just to peek. That fire stopped time, at least according to the Lutherans. Great shot of the '59, Brad. Even as a roadblock.

RB

Anonymous said...

you put what you would like any time,,, keep them coming brother,,

Anonymous said...

Air Unit 9 from Carroll County, MD went enroute to assist on the fire and arrived on scene after the 61 mile trip in just under an hour. AU-9 was recommended by Littlestown's AU as they were struggling to keep up. The firefighter's from 9 who were on the run still laughed about the call when I asked them this past saturday at our banquet, celebrating 60 years of service.
Mike Karolenko
Viglant 52 (College "Stupid")
Reese VFC, St. 9 Carroll County MD