Friday, January 2, 2009

Mainsville House Destroyed, Church Damaged In Fire

On January 2, 1943 in the early morning firemen answered a fire alarm in Mainsville. A faulty flue in the kitchen of an occupied 2-½-story log house sparked a blaze that destroyed the home and damaged a nearby church. With the lack of water in the area and the intense flames firemen were not able to save the house or any of its contents. The United Brethren Church only 20 feet away had the exterior charred with extension to the roof and water damage inside. Fireman combined their hoses to lay more than 1,500 feet of hose to Furnace Run to get water. A damage estimate was not available. The Vigilant Hose and Cumberland Valley Hose companies answered the alarm.

I would like to thank everyone that visited this site during the year, a special thanks goes out to those that commented and shared your stories. Like my photography site I wanted to share the 2008 statistics with everyone.
16,613 visits
30,931 pages viewed
Average pages viewed per visit 1.86
Average time spent on site per visit 1:48
44% of the visitors were referrals (most from Bradley Myers Photography)
39% were direst visitors
17 % arrived by searching (most common Shippensburg Fire Dept Blog)
I had visitors from 67 countries and every state in the U.S.

Again a big thank you for making it a good year, Brad

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brad,

Keep up the good job.

Wish your family a happy new year and as always, stay safe and bring everyone home.

Grizz

Anonymous said...

How many posts did you delete because of they were anonymous?

WMIT

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work, I truly enjoy them. Have a great new year.
Greg
former PHFD

Anonymous said...

Brad,
To echo the others keep up the good work. You know I'm not one to comment alot but I'm out here enjoying the history. Happy New Year to you and your's and keep the lessons coming.
Kenny

Brad Myers said...

Thanks and a safe and Happy New Year to you guys also. I know you guys are looking from your comments and from what I am told. I guess the goal for this year is to increase the amount of people viewing the site and there participation.

I did give this out to the Shbg. Historical Society and it was ran in their news letter, they have been asking me to speak at a meeting for years but I now know they are not intrested in the SFD. The stats spiked for about three days after the letter came out and then went back to what it was.

Remember your stories of the incidents is what makes this site better by giving it the personal side.

WMIT, my tracking site does not follow comments so I have no idea how many anonymous comments I deleted. I will continue to delete those comments good or bad.

Now make life easier for 2010 and get some fires on my off days in history.

Anonymous said...

Hey Brad,

And you thought no one was watching. I am like Kenny, I hit it almost everyday. Don't always say much anymore. Good Blog, best around hands down. Keep it going, I really appreciate it.

C.W.

Woody said...

Brad,

I always enjoy reading fire service history, like I said on the other site, even If I don't comment, I'm on a few times a day..

Anonymous said...

I enjoy the site, keep up the great job. May not comment every day, but I do read every day. have a great 2009.