Sunday, November 9, 2008

Two People Perish In Fire

On November 9, 1999 at 12:52 a.m. Cumberland County 911 alerted units to 812 Mud Level Road for a mobile home fire. A fire caused by a faulty freezer on an enclosed front porch destroyed a mobile home and left two people, a 9-year old girl and her 69-year old grandmother dead. The deaths were caused by smoke inhalation. The home had no working smoke detectors. Three others were left homeless. It took approximately 30 minutes for the 50 firefighters from six companies to bring the blaze under control. One firefighter suffered minor injuries. Damages were estimated at $60,000. Firefighters remained on the scene until 7:30 a.m. The Vigilant Hose, Cumberland Valley Hose and West End Fire and Rescue companies answered the alarm.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok Brad, you need to spill some history on the new banner. I have never seen this picture. By chance was this the new 63 and a loaner engine after the 50 blew the motor and was unrepairable?
Just my guess from one of your other history lessons

Brad Myers said...

Nope, none of the above. This photograph would have been taken in November or more than likely December 1966. The red engine to the right is the 1948 Seagrave purchased for Station 2. I am able to date the photo becuase the rig has not been repainted yet.

I will give you a clue how to tell the two rigs apart, look at the fron bumper on this engine and then look at the next page of post on here and there will be two photos of the 1950, in 1950 Seagrave changed to the more modern looking bumper.

No time to elaborate any more, I need to get off to work.

Anonymous said...

ok thanks , I see the difference , I thought I was being smart and paying attention to other posts.

Any idea who the guys are in the picture.

Brad Myers said...

Barry, I am not sure who the two men are. But my guess would be Art Burkholder for the guy standing and Bill Smith on the 63 Seagrave. This is just a guess based on body postitions and cloths. This might be the first time most have seen this engine all red unless a person was active back then. When I detail the rig I have other photos of it red, still with Hummelstown and one of it getting prepped for painting. It shows Dad sanding the engine.

Anonymous said...

Awesome, I think your right with the guys in the picture. I was thinking the one was Burky I wasn`t sure about the other. As a real small kid I remember your Pap as asst chief and driving.

Unknown said...

I really enjoyed your blog. all the time when i read it out. i have just bookmarked it.
Thomas the Tank Engine Beds