Thursday, March 11, 2010

Moores Building Supply Burns In Chambersburg

On March 11, 1989 at 2:27 a.m. Franklin County communications center alerted firefighters to a building fire at the Moore’s Building Supply, 1090 S. Main Street, Chambersburg. An arson fire destroyed the newly constructed showroom and warehouse. First arriving firefighters encountered heavy fire in the rear of the building with the sprinklers not working. Over 100 firefighters manning some 35 pieces of equipment worked for almost two hours before controlling the three-alarm fire. Damages were estimated at $3 million dollars. The Chambersburg, Franklin's, Mont Alto, Fayetteville, Waynesboro, Greencastle, Marion, New Franklin, Pleasant Hall, St. Thomas, West End Fire and Rescue, Vigilant Hose, Cumberland Valley Hose, Newburg-Hopewell, Carlisle and Letterkenny fire companies operated at the scene under the direction of Chambersburg fire chief William Sheppard. WEFR and C.V.'s both transferred to Chambersburg before being called to the scene of the blaze. Firefighters returned numerous times to extinguish flare ups. The video below last about 30 seconds and is from News 25 Hagerstown, YES IT IS A VIDEO, it may not look it but black on black is black. Turn up your volume also, it is the news..

Later in the day at 8:41 a.m. co.'s 51 and 15 answered an auto accident at the intersection of the Newburg Rd. and Ridge Rd. At 10:25 a.m. co.'s 51, 52, 15, 53 and 47 responded to a reported cabin fire that ended up being a controlled burn on the Three Square Hollow Rd. in Hopewell Twp. At 4:12 p.m. co.'s 15 and 11 answered a vehicle fire on the Roxbury Rd. in Lurgan Twp. Then at 7:18 p.m. WEFR transferred to the Chambersburg fire department and at 7:29 p.m. co.'s 13, 15, 52, 11 and 53 responded to smoke in the structure at the Pleasant Hall Manor trailer park, Letterkenny Twp. to finish a busy day.


Woody said...

I remember hearing about this fire. A guy who was in one of my fire science classes at HACC did a report on this. Were you on this fire Brad?

Brad Myers said...

Nope, I was on duty at 37-Engine, those 24 on 24 off shifts caused you to miss many jobs and runs at home.

Kenny said...

The Vigilants also transferred during this conflagration. We were at McKinley St Station, when we were sent to do something I'd never done before or since. With all units using the Rt 11/Main St water system, the system was maxed out. E252(81 Seagrave)was sent to lay a 5" line from the hydrant at the Coke plant, S. Main and, I think, South St,to the hydrant at South St and Central Ave. These hydrants were on seperate loops. We then spent the night pumping the Main St line from the Central Ave loop. I've filled alot of tankers but that's the only time I filled a hydrant.

Brad Myers said...

I didn't know that Kenny, often the only information I have is what was printed unless I am on the incident. That is the kind of stuff I am looking for in comments, it will be added to the run in the data base.

I thought there would be more comments on this post just because of the 21 year old news footage. Oh well, I was just keep trying.