On March 17, 1860 at 3:00 a.m. the cry of fire was heard in town, firemen soon learned the location was a house on Prince Street. An arson fire consumed an unoccupied frame dwelling. Firemen could do little with the fire due to a lack of water. A damage estimate was not available. The Vigilant Fire and Cumberland Valley Fire companies answered the alarm.