On July 3, 1939 in the afternoon hours, firemen raced to the David Stouffer residence in Lees Cross Roads for a chicken house fire. The blaze began when burning paper nearby spread to the small frame building. The building housed some garden tools and toys. By the time firemen arrived the building was virtually destroyed. They extinguished the flames and prevented the spread of fire to any other nearby structures. A damage estimate was not listed. The Vigilant Hose Company answered the alarm.