Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Horse Killed In Barn Fire

On October 7, 1913 at 8:00 p.m. bells on top of the two firehouse rung out an alarm of fire. Firemen raced to the W. L. Karper Livery barn to the rear of the Smith Hotel. A fire of undetermined origin destroyed a large stable killing a horse. Firemen had the blaze darkened down in about an hour and began shutting down some of their hose lines. Damages were estimated at $1,700. The Vigilant Hose and Cumberland Valley Hose Companies answered the alarm.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brad,
Was this image a patch, pin, sticker or what's the scoop behind it? Our POS ladder truck at work just shows that even Seagrave doesn't make a piece like they used to. I got more faith in the Seagrave sitting behind Rick's Shop in Walnut Bottom then I do our brand new, better part of a million dollar ladder truck...It's sad...

TJ

Unknown said...

TJ

It looks like a reflective sticker in the picture.

All Makes are POS not like the old rigs like Macks, Segraves, Pirsch and Arhens Fox!

Cincy Bill

Brad Myers said...

It was a screened sticker on reflective tape. They were made around 1979 or 1980 and if memory serves me correct around the ladies night banquet (held in Nov. then). They were to put on our helmets to show pride. I was luckey enough to have one I never used. Ask Sanders or Byers they will remember them.

You could ride our junk if you really want to be unhappy. I am prepared to retire today, take a hit in my pension and go back to a factory. I may have passed wanting to retire and reached the I hat my job level. Tooooo many assholes.

Anonymous said...

Brad,

I have one of these stickers on my old New Yorker along with a sticker of a duck with a 52 helmet on. (Remember them?)

Grizz

Brad Myers said...

I do remember them Dave, I think I have one on my green new yorker, I will need to look. If it is their I will photograph it and post it sometime.