Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Occupant Dies In Cleversburg Fire

On May 5, 1982 at 5:38 a.m. firefighters were dispatched to a house fire on the Neil Road, Cleversburg Southampton Cumberland. Firefighters could see a column from Shippensburg. By the time the first engine arrived at 5:45 a.m. heavy fire was showing from most of the windows on the front of the 2-1/2-story frame house. Assistant Chief Gerald Holtry immediately ordered the deluge gun to be used. The gun knocked down most visible fire on side one before lines were advanced inside. Almost 50 firefighters from four companies had the blaze under control in 15 to 20 minutes. A 78-year-old male occupant and the family dog perished in the blaze. Another occupant was transported with burns. An overturned kerosene heater started the fire. A damage estimate was not available. Firefighters remained on the scene until 10:00 a.m. The Vigilant Hose, Cumberland Valley Hose and West End Fire and Rescue companies answered the alarm with assistance from South Newton.

7 comments:

Brad Myers said...

I remember this call (I forgot many of them), I as still a live in at the firehouse along with Ged, Kenny and Bronly. I don’t remember who all was on the rig that day but I remember Ged riding the seat and Kenny and I in the jump seats. Puling in I thought we were going to catch allot of fire and then Gerald ordered us to blitz it with the stang. It knocked down allot of fire quickly and did a great job. Kenny and I then followed up but stretching lines through the front door and finishing off the fire.

We crawled over the victim at least twice before we found him, he was between the front door and the closed in porch door but covered with debris making it hard to find him. The victim actually had a heart attack and fell onto the heater causing the fire and dying from heart failure.

For a number of years we had a pretty good bunkroom crew, full of attitude but able to back it up.

Seagrave said...

Wow, what a morning, I remember it well. We lived in the burg at the time just 1/4 mile from this house. When I got on the scene Barry Klinger was trying to go in the front door with a garden hose,also he tried to go in the back door, way to much smoke and heat. We could only make it in the front door a couple steps. Little did we relize that we were only feet from the person. This was an amazing wagon pipe job. The engine pulled in front of the house and I have never seen water applied so fast and a fire knocked so quickly. The tanker was on the scene very fast and backed up to the rear of the engine and transfer water quickly. it was a sad morning with the death of the gentlman but it was a text book operation that was flawless.

Kenny said...

Brad,
I was trying to remember which engine we had that morning, I think it was the Boro's Bruco. I seem to remember too, that Cook was with us.
The blitz did work pretty well. We were able to take care of the first and second floors in good time, but the attic wasn't such a walk in the park.
Kenny
PS: two comments in two days, I am needing to slow down. Keep the history coming.

Sparky said...

I can remember this call also. I was still a high school student, and missed a day of school because of this fire. I think I even have some pictures of this call.

Seagrave said...

Kenny , I think it was the 69 , because we were kicking butt to get the tanker in place to dump the water because we only had 300 gallons on the 69 and we had a concern that with the attack with the gun we would empty the tank on the engine. But we were able to maintain the water after the intial attack because of the fast work of the water supply folks ( thank you very much)

Brad Myers said...

I do not remember for sure but I thought we were on the 1981 Seagrave wagon. The 300 gallons on the 1969 would have only lasted around 30 seconds (at best) and we would have been out of water.

Sparky said...

I will look at my pictures tonight and see if it shows what engine is in front of the building...