Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Juniors Engines


If is seems like with this post that I am jumping around it is because I did. The hand engine should have been the first rig photo I posted but it didn't work out that way. The hand engine was first purchased in 1855 for the Friendship Fire Company No 1 Chambersburg and was used by them until 1869 when it was placed out of service. In 1872 the Borough of Chambersburg transferred the hand tub to the newly formed Junior's, this was their first engine. The rig was in service until 1882 when like many Franklin and Cumberland County rigs it stayed local and was sold to the McConnelsburg Fire Company (does anyone know if they still have it?). The first photograph shows three generation of Junior's engines, from left to right the 1977 Pierce, 1965 Peter Pirsch and the 1936 Ward LaFrance. One more installment coming on the Junior's to get you up to the present.

3 comments:

Sparky said...

I'm really enjoying this history on the Juniors. The pictures are so cool. keep up the great job on this site and your other...

Unknown said...

Brad,

Agree with Sparky, enjoying the history and pictures.

Did Jackson do the histories of the other Chambersburg Companies? I would love to see a picture of the Blue Goose.

Cincy Bill

Brad Myers said...

Thanks guys. Bill Jackson did not write histories on the other companies. He had close ties with the Juniors since that is where he and his father were both active. I will eventually put something together on those companies and I have many photographs from them that I can post.